Monday, August 17, 2009

It’s okay, I don’t need your 2 cents. You need it more to make yourself richer.

 

Growing up, I found myself habitually lack of confidence (despite of my loud personality). I need(ed) approval from others on my choices and behaviour. I was afraid to voice out what I really like and went for the mainstream because it’s safer that way.

Now I’m 25 (and forever will be! HAHHAHAHA!), I learn not to bother with what they say, feel certain with my preferences and reply with a polite smile whenever necessary hoping the other party get my hint of asking him/her to STFU stop talking.

Yesterday while munching sotong and cucur udang, sipping my favorite Hong-tou-liang-fen (Kacang + Jelly), I casually voiced out my choice of car that I’ll like to own  (Note: Not dream car, just a normal sedan car) and my friend gave me the disgusted look with an “Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee” and laughed away.

To be honest, I was most affronted by her “eeeeee”.

So like a defensive porcupine with sharp spines all standing up when I sense something not right, I went on telling her, “Wei. I don’t need your approval on things I like or dislike. Stop giving me that look”.

Sometimes I wonder what is the best response to give when facing situations like that. Do you immediately lose confidence and agree with the other person, or do you insist in your liking and try to persuade others to agree too?

9 comments:

wen said...

When that happens I usually go 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder' and continue with 'What you see as beautiful might not be the same for me and likewise'.

Nonnie King said...

Good one.

48 said...

Agree.. Not to mention you always better choices than most people anyway
BTW, who is wen? Nearly thought I unknowingly left a message.

Nonnie King said...

eh, I also dunno which Wen is he/she.
But i know not you la.

I just email you, reply ah!

Sigh.. i miss you lah.
but seeing u also means i spend more money cos u n i have the most ngam taste.

Tina D said...

I would ask why she responded like that, and if she comes up with something stupid, I will proceed with making her feel ridiculous about laughing at other people's choices.

Nonnie King said...

She said, "I don't know, I just don't like it".

-___-"

Broken Wings said...

I would smile and then mentally delete this person from my friend list.

You certainly do not need this kind of sucker to be your friend.

Friend is to support your dream, not crush it.

Tina D said...

I would further probe, and say, "Why? Not good enough for you, is it??"

Hahaha, marah ku tu ah.

Nonnie King said...

Max : LOL! Mentally delete. I like I like!
Sadly, that particular person happens to be one of my bestfriends..

Tina : HHAHAAHAHHA! Cos her car is better than my choice~